Friday, March 26, 2010

Texas State Students Travel to Cancun for Spring Break

Recently, Texas State University students from San Marcos, Texas traveled to Cancun, Mexico for their Spring Break fun. Many students leave with excitement and anticipation with the dangers of Mexico in the back of their mind.


Every year about 100,000 Spring Breakers travel to Mexico to enjoy beautiful scenery and Spring Break festivities. They pay a large price for a week of fun mostly consisting of drinking, partying, tanning, meeting new people and enjoying the week away from school, but with many worried parents back at home.

When students go on Spring Break parents typically have the same concerns, but when traveling to Mexico the worries seem to be endless. Everywhere you look there are stories about drug trafficking, human trafficking, kidnapping, rape, robberies, murders and violence. "Know Before You Go" With warnings everywhere, students still insist to travel out of the country.

You can imagine the thoughts that go through a parents head when their son or daughter comes to go them asking to go to Mexico for Spring Break. “I think everyone’s parents have reservations about them going to Mexico especially when you’re a girl because of how the media portrays the dangers like Sex Trafficking, kidnapping and drug wars. They knew I’d be drinking and that made them very concerned,” said Texas State junior Sierra Lassetter. This isn’t always just the case for girls; male students face the same risks. “My mom was so worried about me going to Mexico, she made me check in everyday, have a “code text” if something was wrong, lectured me on staying in groups and watching my drink at all times. At first, I was a little bit annoyed with the extensive lecture, but I knew it was just because she was nervous,” said Texas State sophomore Kevin McGehee.

Some students were disappointed by that fact that they weren’t allowed to go on Spring Break in Mexico. “After I took off work and paid for half of my trip myself, my mom freaked out and wouldn’t let me go, but even though I was mad I understood,” said junior Skye Zinn. When you see or read the horror stories, as a parent the main thought is you don’t want that to be your son or daughter on the news. “My mom thought it was just too dangerous, I went anyways with only my dad knowing and looking back I can see why she was so against it, I should’ve told her where I was just in case something happened to me and my dad couldn’t be reached,” said Texas State sophomore Susanna Patterson.

While traveling anywhere for Spring Break, there are different risks with the different places you go. “My mom was worried, but that’s basically wherever I travel, but she knows that I’ll be smart about my actions and decisions. One of her main worries for Mexico was that if something happened to me I wouldn’t receive proper healthcare,” said senior Samantha Fajardo.

No comments:

Post a Comment