Friday, March 26, 2010

Graduating seniors celebrate Spring Break: The last hurrah

By: Megan Moede

Spring break is a time for partying and relaxing for most college students, but seniors experience their last spring break of their academic career.

Some students plan their Spring Breaks out to make sure they get a lot done, but some like the freedom to be less organized. “I planned most of my events for certain nights but not much for the day time,” said Jenna Price, a senior at A&M University. “I didn’t like to be too scheduled, though. The only thing I had to do was make breakfast for my family.”

Jenna Price's family dinner picture (courtesy of Jenna Price)

Some students do not have the choice of having an open schedule. “I wish I had gotten to have more fun with my friends,” said Aimee Villalobos, a senior at Texas State University. “I had to work a whole bunch. I worked Tuesday through Friday of Spring Break week. Receiving my paycheck was the highlight of my break.”

Seniors have the opportunity to advance their further education during the break. “I accepted the admission decision and financial assistance from USF College of Marine Science,” said William Abbott, a senior at University of West Florida. “I’ve been applying to and visiting schools all spring break. Usually during previous Spring Breaks I wouldn’t plan my Spring Break around future schooling at all.”
Photo of author Megan Moede and William Abbott, courtesy of Adam Wiencken


Spring Break is also useful for seniors to narrow down career choices. “I finally have a job lined up for after I graduate,” said Chris Hogan, a senior at Texas A&M University. “I was offered an amazing job for after graduation. It is great news, but the rest of the break was disappointing compared to other Spring Breaks when I got to do things not related to work.”

Some seniors might regret not spending their last Spring Break the way they had hoped. “I always wished I could have gotten to travel more. I love seeing new things and wouldn’t have complained if I traveled more,” said Chris Collette, senior at University of Massachusetts. “I am happy I got to relax on my last break. Though I’m sad I didn’t get to travel in any of my Spring Breaks, I’m taking a very heavy course load this semester so relaxation was my top priority.”

University staff might shy away from letting a break distract seniors trying to stay on track to graduation. “There are students who see this as a moment in their life that deserves a celebration, but I would also assume that there are more people who look at it as just another excuse to have a party,” said Texas State math lecturer Jarred Knittel.

Not all teachers shy away from the idea of a weeklong break. “I think that Spring Break is great. It is at a time when the weather is changing and students start to get antsy,” said Javier Garcia, an undergraduate admissions counselor at Texas State University. “I think that there is an adjustment period when students come back to school but it is a quick one because finals are right around the corner.”

Because it is the graduating senior’s last break before they graduate, there might be a tendency to treat it differently than any other Spring Break they’ve had. “I told myself I could let go and spend a bit more money, but I think I ended up spending less than any other year,” said James Kerwin, a senior at Indiana University. “The only thing I sacrificed was some sleep, cash, and some skin-cancer-free years of my life with all the sun I got.” James Kerwin getting some sun at the game

No comments:

Post a Comment