Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fans go mad for Burton- Depp collaboration

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland earned over $116 million opening weekend after premiering March 5, 2010 in U.S. theaters. The collaboration of director Tim Burton and actor Johnny Depp drew in some movie-goers; however, the memorable team is also what turned people away.

The dark and quirky style of Tim Burton's movies are celebrated by many, but some find them a little too weird. The thought of taking Lewis Carroll's novel and Disney's famed Alice in Wonderland (1951) and adding a Tim Burton spin makes some fans absolutely mad, in both a positive and negative sense.

Erika Strayhan, fan of Johnny Depp and Tim Burton admits that Disney's 1951 version of Alice in Wonderland is the one that "creeped her out" when she was little.

"I love Tim Burton's movies. I love how he takes the darker side, but still adds comedy and romance. I also love Johnny Depp's versatility as an actor," Strayhan said.

Karen Sterner who saw the movie with her family and really enjoyed it in 3-D believes that Johnny Depp is the one who brings in the viewers.

"I am a Johnny Depp fan, but all the actors did a great job. I had fun watching and so did my daughter. The visual effects made you feel like you were there because everything was so colorful and alive," Sterner said.


Although many fans rave over the Burton- Depp team coming together again for Alice in Wonderland, it has received poor reviews from many noted articles such as the New York Times and Rollingstone.

David Sanchez, 31-year-old father of two, saw the movie, but does not recommend seeing it.

"I am a fan of Tim Burton's and love Johnny Depp, but I thought the movie was too slow and don't think they did a good job with the 3-D. I went because my daughter kept bugging me to take her to see it, and I found out I like the cartoon version better," Sanchez said.

Unlike Sanchez, Yvette Escalera who is not a fan of the familiar Burton- Depp team knew to stay away and does not intend on seeing the new Alice in Wonderland anytime soon.

"I am a fan of Johnny Depp and liked Disney's Alice in Wonderland (1951) when I was a kid, but I'm not excited about seeing Tim Burton's movie in theaters. When it comes to Redbox or HBO, maybe," Escalera said.

Burton and Depp's past movies have proven to be successful, but with mixed reviews for this collaboration it is truly up to the viewer whether or not to join Alice for a cup of tea.




No comments:

Post a Comment